Saturday 5 January 2013

... And now it is Christmas day - I think?


   So, it was Christmas - apparently.   Yes there were many decorations.  The food was overwhelming - which was the goal that chef Ken has in mind.   Christmas brunch - one buffet line for breakfast (omelette station, heaps of grated hashbrowns, thick salty bacon - plus the usual cereal - but who wants cereal when there is so much else to eat) and then a Christmas lunch buffet line (leg of lamb, garlic mashed potato, green bean casserole, salads and more).  Finally, across the center of the cafeteria was 40 feet of table piled high with fruits, cheeses and pastries.  "I wanted to make Christmas like back home - where you can eat all day" mused Ken.

I think I am a little too enthusiastic.  Imitating the Lisa-as-a-child-smile
    I retreated to my cabin where I had a solitary mini Christmas with myself and opened a few gifts that mom had me pack along in my luggage.  At the time of cramming my life into my backpack, these extra objects were a nuissance - taking up valuable space, but on Christmas morning, I did appreciate opening a few things.  Sounds funny, but by far the highlight of Christmas surprises was the card that Lisa had made for me - one of my breakwater photos blown up and printed.  Seems so simple, but I love Victoria.  I also have become entangled in a pile of embroidery thread for making friendship bracelets - I think mom thought that somehow I would be bored.  Back in primary school, I made soooo many of these bracelets, that the patterns are permanently ingrained in my brain.  I have begun making bracelets for friends as they leave, and I have quite enjoyed picking up this old obsession.
Dear Al, we miss you ... and so does Dallas Road and the breakwater.  Love Lisa
   In the afternoon, a group of us strolled through town to a bar on the beach and had a Christmas drink.  Coke is good on any continent.  Hear, I paid less attention to my friends, and the waves breaking upon the garbage covered shore, and spent a solid 20 minutes playing paparazzi to an orange lizard.
   Christmas dinner was leftovers from lunch - and we stuffed ourselves once again.

The trash on the beach...
So Christmas made it's mark - came and went.  Felt out of place, shouldn't I be somewhere else?  And I realize, everyone here feels the exact same way.  We did Christmas differently this year and it will be memorable, simply because it was 'the Christmas that wasn't.'

 

10 comments:

  1. We had a "Christmas that wasn't" as well, because we were all sick. We decided not to cancel Christmas dinner, but we didn't really do anything else Christmasy. Glad you liked the card! :)

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed opening your packages. I didn't want you to feel left out on Christmas Day. I think I envisioned you making friendship bracelets with children...I realize now you couldn't give one to every child you see in the dental clinic, but maybe you could teach some little girl who lives on the ship how to make bracelets, or a wee patient in the recovery ward. The beads were to incorporate into the bracelets, if you like. I was going to buy seed beads, but realized they are too small for the floss. If you want more embroidery floss, let me know. Did you think the corn was a crazy idea????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many people who used to make the bracelets as kids, and want me to re-teach them. I still have alot of thread left, but it's possible that I may use more. If you send some, it will take months (card has still not come) to come on the container. If I do not use it all, there will be people willing to take it off my hands. Am I meant to pick apart the corn kernel by kernel? I am not prepared for the mess! Yes it is true, I have next to no space to create a mess, so I am living pretty tidy.

      Delete
  3. Hey Alice! Glad you got lots of yummy food... Christmas is a little about that. How did you guys celebrate after your friend Fred reminded you all about that aspect of Christmas? That was such a great idea Lisa had to send along a pic of Dallas rd for you. When I went to Australia my mom had such a hard time and she used to go walk down on Dallas rd because she knew that was one of my favorite spots:) Before you know it you'll be back on Dallas rd thinking of all your friends on Mercy ships...
    Take care .. Alyssa and Jack say "Hi" !!
    Stephani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephani, Jason, Alyssa and Jack! After Fred reminded us to rejoice, he gave us some dance lessons, as he is an avid ballroom dancer. I like swing, but tango and cha-cha - not so much. I also helped deliver goodies to people's shoes that they had left in the hallway outside their doors (the dutch equivalent to hanging stockings that the whole ship has adopted.)

      Delete
    2. What did the elves put into the shoes?

      Delete
    3. stuff. candy, soap, or whatever

      Delete
  4. Aw so lovely! I love the picture with the embroidery floss. The lizard is awesome! It is always memorable to spend Christmas somewhere else. Did you learn about any foreign Christmas traditions? Also, did you know they're putting up a railing around the breakwater?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dutch put a shoe out in the hallway for Sinter Clauss to deliver gifts to (dutch version of our stockings), and the whole ship has adopted the tradition. Wander the halls on Christmas eve, and the hall is full of shoes, and little elves scurrying around to fill them.
      Railing! Bah! How could they? Just around the top tier? Were there any accidents to prompt this invasion upon our charished landmark?

      Delete