Saturday 29 March 2014

What an auspicious beginning...


"Welcome home!" the phrase rings through my ears continuously.  I have returned to my home away from home, the Africa Mercy.  Same 'house' and family, new neighbourhood.  This time I find myself in the port of Pointe Noire, Republic of Congo.  I hadn't been on board more than a few hours when I had already found myself a security posting for the upcoming presidential visit.  I have friends in high places and this gets me into a whole lot of fun! All this dental stuff I've been talking about, it is just a cover-up.  My main reason on the ship is undercover security.  Whoops, I guess I shouldn't have said that...

 I've always wanted to play security dress-up.  I almost lost my chance due to a wardrobe mishap, but thanks to  few safety pins I was soon on my way.  Most of the ship was off limits to the general crew, and I was among the few lucky ones who were able to access the action.  The president and his entourage arrived amidst marching bands and
paparazzi, high security prepped days in advance.  I was stationed at the door next to Starbucks on the port side - my orders: do not let any crew enter the area or any of the guests leave.  I must keep people in their places.  Really, who am I kidding?  I can't keep a straight face!  Enter my bubble and crack a goofy face and my attempt at a stern exterior crumbles.  But the perception of toughness is what counts here, never mind the reality.  Stand tall, shoulders back, chin up, snatch a meatball from the tray as it hovers past...  Great fun.  My only glimpse of the president came as he ascended the gangway.  Unfortunately special security postings don't afford special guest appearances, but c'est la vie.  I felt like I was part of the royal security team despite the fact that I was not given maritime security epilets to wear or a radio to hold.

  Now that my duty was completed and the president had safely exited the ship, it was time to enter my dental world.
  Adrenaline still pumping through my veins from my time spent in Impfondo, North Congo combined with non-stop reunions and social catch-up made for quite a restless weekend.  My brain had obviously not received the memo that I was now aboard the Africa Mercy and I would no longer be woken up at 6 am from the roosters, cats and crickets outside my window.  I survived my first few ship days on a minimally acceptable amount of shut-eye.  Monday morning rolled around, and my brain had made a unanimous decision for the rest of my body that this would be the morning that it would allow for an extended reprieve of sleep.


Knock, knock, knock!

"Ah! Why is someone knocking at our door?  My alarm clock has not yet rung so obviously it is still early morning and someone is making a racket!"

 Knock, knock, knock!  Pause.  Knock, knock, knock!

"Arg!  How rude!  Doesn't that person realize some of us are trying to sleep?"
I rolled over and pulled my pillow over my head.  About 30 second later...

Ring, ring!  

"Seriously people, give us a break!"  

Ring, ring!

"Oh.  Maybe the knock on the door and the phone ring are related?"

Ring, ring!

"Why are my other cabin-mates not answering the phone?"

  I stumble down my ladder, down the hall towards the phone, and just then, the noise stops abruptly leaving a faint ring in my ears.  I turn my head to the right and I am startled to see all empty beds, my cabin vacant. 
  I sharply inhale a startled breath as my eyes grow wide and I rush to my alarm clock.  It is 8:38am and indeed not before 6:30.
"Nooooooooooooo!"  This seems almost too predictable of a scenario to happen to me.  I can't believe it.  I slept in on my first day of work, how epic!  I almost couldn't have planned a better mistake.  Within minutes I had donned a uniform, ate breakfast (my welcome cookies), and dashed up to the gangway, out of breath.
"Oh, Alice, are you not going to the dental clinic today?  They've already left." Greets my security guard.  Of course.  Classic move Al. 
  So far, I had been on wonderful terms with my dental team, and I was not concerned of a backlash of lecturing, but I did owe it to them to try to find my way to the clinic.  Luckily for me, the Hope Center (Mercy Ship's off ship patient care) is located beside the dental clinic and Mercy Ship's  Landrovers shuttle back and forth between that location and the ship many times a day.  I ran around sheepishly telling my story of hilarity hoping to find a M.S. driver headed out that way.  Simultaneously I wished to be stranded on the ship for the day and catch up on a few extra zzzz's.  As it happened, a ride did show up, and I got my first daylight glimpse of Pointe Noire as we wove our way through the maze of streets.
 
  At the clinic a few of the team members whom
I had never met were oblivious to my absence, some had been concerned for my safety when I had not shown up or answered my door or phone, and still some friends had accurately concluded that my tardiness was due to a fatigue/alarm clock issue.   In any case, here I stood - back in the middle of "the toughest job you will ever learn to love."  The suffering and relief, shame and validation, fear and comfort.  "Here I am, send me..."

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Alice! Didn't you sleep in on your first day of work in Guinea, also?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, a blog post! Gotcha! This reminds me of traveling with you, haha... I'm gonna write you an email. Good to see your face! P.S. I'm on hold with Revenue Canada... ughhh worst tinny classical music playing... blehh spending a sunny Sat morning on the phone!

    ReplyDelete